Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Saturday, November 26, 2011

I'm Thankful for... Day 26



November 26, 2011

Today I am thankful for the people that I've met since beginning my grief journey - most of these people are walking this awful road with me and they know what I'm going through.

I actually met the first lady the day Erik started kindergarten.  She was the person who prompted me to go back to school and get my degree to teach (Erik dying changed all of that :()  Anyway, she is the sweetest, most kind person that I think I have ever met.  She is completely selfless and I won't even get started on how wonderful of a teacher that she is.  It wasn't until Erik died that I realized her purpose in my life had just quadrupled.  She went from being Erik's first real teacher to a person I share a lot of things with.  Her son passed away on November 23, 1997.  I had no idea until Erik died.  She was at the hospital when I walked into the family room after we said goodbye to Erik and she has been there for me throughout the last 2 years.  She has the kindergarten class make a poster for Erik and it still hangs in our house this day.  She picked a rose from Erik's spray off his casket and had it made into a keepsake that is displayed front and center in Erik's cabinet.  I love her more than she realizes and am so thankful that she was brought into my life and so grateful that she knew my little boy.

I am also thankful for Sharon Gordon.  Her son, Charlie, passed away on December 7.  He was just days shy of his 9th birthday.  Sharon and I don't talk that often, but she gets me and I get her.  She has been so helpful these last 2 years and I love her dearly.  I hate knowing that she's hurting just as bad as I am.

The other lady that I've come to love is Susan Kittles.  Her daughter, Lauren, passed away in August of 2010 from cancer.  I met Susan through Sharon and when we get the chance, we meet up and let it all out.  Whether it be tears, laughter, anger - whatever.

We may be in different stages of grief, but we're all grieving the loss of a child.

Thank you Donna, Sharon and Susan for all you do!

No comments: